Nigerian designers are among the best

It’s a designers’ hub where different designers can exhibit their collections.
What brought about this idea?
When we finished the Africa Fashion Week during the Olympics in 2012, we found out a lot of the designers do not have stores where they could stock their collections. That brought about the concession store where we can just have a collection of designers. That’s why we call it designers’ hub.
What criteria do you use in selecting the designers that you collect stocks from?
Any designer that meets up with criteria laid down, which they are meant to follow, can apply. We look at stock to see that the finishing is done very well. In fact that is the main criteria. The finishing has to be done properly because we don’t just market them in Nigeria; we market them outside Nigeria as well.
Many who would love to wear Nigerian designs complain that designers here don’t do ready-to-wear, and this makes their designs come very expensive. How do you combat that?
Part of what we encourage our designers to do is stock ready-to-wear brands and not just couture. We want people to be able to pop in and buy Ankara made stuff at affordable prices.
You started Africa Fashion Week London. Why did you hope to achieve?
AFWL was established with the aim of creating a visible and global platform for African and African-inspired designers in the UK and from around the world, including Africa. All the editions we’ve hosted made huge success. We’ve always worked with limited resources but people
come out in full force to support the show.
Why is it important to promote African or African inspired fashion?
We need Africans in the Diaspora to start buying from Africans; we need to support our own and ensure that African fashion designers can support their creativity with a sustainable income. We are hoping to see a lot of creativity and originality, adding their own touch and
bringing their own dynamism to the runway at Africa Fashion Week London. Our experience in hosting the AFWL has shown that the demand is there and a lot of people want to associate with our own designers. They want to buy African brand.
What are the challenges you face as a Nigerian entrepreneur hosting an international show?
Basically,  funds. Though we have some sponsors, they are not enough. What we are trying to do is to promote emerging young designers. And emerging young designers do not really have money. What we do is to try to turn their creativity to sustainability. We try to commercialize their creativity.
Do you have plans of taking AFWL to other parts of the world?
Our next stop will be Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; in 2016 during the next Olympics. The aim is to make AFWL not just a sustainable but, a global brand, creating more international platforms for Africans and African
inspired designers.
Did you study fashion designing or business administration. How did you get into the fashion industry? Does it have anything to do with
your background?
It’s got nothing to do with my background. My dad was a lawyer and also into business. My mum was a beautician. I don’t think it had anything to do with my upbringing. It’s more of passion. I’ve always been in fashion retailing. I have my brand called Rukkies. Rukkies was the first thing I did after university. I’m actually a lawyer; I studied Law at Thames Valley University, Ellen in West London. But
while I was studying in the university in London, I used to buy things and sell to my friends. I’ve been in the retail business for close to 12 years now. I just wanted to diversify into fashion, which was what I did. I went into it full time in the UK and upon my return; I established my store here too.
So where are your wig and gown?
At home somewhere
You never practiced your profession?
No.
Why?
I just didn’t want to.
Why study what you didn’t want to practice?
My aunt was a judge and while growing up, I used to admire her a lot. That was what made me go into studying law. But my passion for fashion took over after I finished.
How would you describe the fashion industry in Nigeria?
Believe me when I say Nigeria has the best fashion designers in Africa and we are not doing too badly when compared to the world designers too. Our designers are very creative and innovative. Our designers are fabulous. We just need to push our designs to the
frontal view of the world. We also need to know more of the business side of fashion. And that can only be achieved if we produce more and take part in exhibitions. Nigerian and African fashion as a whole, is now being recognised in the UK and globally.
We have a lot of very
talented African designers in the UK, but often, they are not easily available to the masses, hence the reason I establish Africa Fashion Week London – to provide not only a platform for UK-based African designers to showcase their work but also to provide
fashionistas  interested in African and African-inspired designs an opportunity to see the diversity of what is on offer.
What keeps you going?
I like jogging and I do a lot of charity work. I would love to be a philanthropist when I retire.
Are you married?
No but, I have a teenage daughter.
How do you cope doing all of these with being a single parent?
When you have a family that understands you, it helps. They know what I want, they know when I’m not around, and they know what to do. My family -my mum and brother support me well and also help look out for
her but I tell you, it could get over-bearing sometimes.
How do you juggle the branches as a businesswoman?
I have a good manager who helps me out anytime I’m outside the country.
Who is your role model in the industry and why?
Phil Green; I am inspired and guided by his words, “I don’t do ‘can’t do’, I do ‘can do’”.
From your experience so far, what would you say life has taught you?
Life has taught me to be grateful and happy at all times. I’ve also learnt too that, there is no short cut to hard work and that it pays. Especially as a woman, you need to work extra hard, harder than your male counterparts because survival is harder for the woman.
You are obviously a fashionista. What determines what you wear?
I wear whatever is in vogue as long as it suits me. That’s the type of person I am. For instance, when skinny jean was in vogue, I wore it since it fits me. I follow the fashion trends. I’m a designer bag person. I love Gucci. I follow the fashion trends of every season, but in a conservative way. My personal style is not too flamboyant; I like to mix African prints with jeans to create a simple yet chic everyday style.
What is the secret of your beautiful clear skin?
I do nothing extra-ordinary apart from using my body moisturizer. I have been using the cream for many years now. Also, I drink much water. I try to stay away from sugary drinks and I take much cranberry juice as well.
What advice would you give to fashion conscious ladies out there?
I’ll simply say, create your own fashion and have your own style, because it’s not right to wear something that isn’t you. It’s often better to have a basic personal style than to always be chasing the latest ‘fad’ look. Have good taste in clothing. Be modest in clothing and avoid clothing of bad taste.

No comments: